Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tiwonana!


Tiwonana means "see you later" in Chichewa! I've really been practicing -- I now know a few more words than simply "hello" and "toilet," so I'll be able to do a little more than greet a toilet... I can't believe that I'm leaving for staging later on today!! I just wanted to let everyone know a little bit about my travel details and getting in touch with me when I'm in Africa.

I leave this afternoon for Philadelphia, where I'll be in staging for a few days (staging = orientation, going over safety information, etc.). The staging deal begins tomorrow afternoon, so I'll get to spend a little time with Matt and Bethany before I go! On Sunday morning, my training group and I will take a bus to JFK airport where we catch our flight to Africa. We leave JFK at 5:20 PM and fly to Johannesberg, South Africa. It's an 18 hour flight -- I hope they're showing some good movies! We spend the night in South Africa and fly to Malawi the following day. I'll arrive in Lilongwe, Malawi Sept. 30 at 1:55 PM. Malawi is 6 hours ahead of Eastern time.

I will be in the Dedza province of Malawi (not too far from the capital Lilongwe) for ten weeks, for technical, language, and cultural training. During this time, I will be living with a host family and I will not have access to the internet or telephones. E-mail my parents (MorleyMid@gmail.com) if you would like my mailing address (Mom and Dad, I hope you don't mind me saying this... I just know that you know my address by heart)! Dec. 12 is when I'll get inducted into the Peace Corps and when I'll definitely know more about my site -- I'll let you know then how to get in touch with me after training.

I hope all is well with everyone! I will write more when I am able (and when I have something interesting to say).

Tiwonana!

Alyssa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so looking forward to getting an update from you. Will it really be December? I talked with Shawna (not sure if that is her correct name) on Tuesday to confirm your arrival in Malawi. She was with you in Philly and said great things about you :-) Love you tons, Mom

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read about your adventures!!

Unknown said...

Ohhh Alyssa,
I tried super hard to find the correct spelling of UNE-DICKIE-FUNYA-KUDYA online... but to no avail. However, I'm sure even as you read that fabulous phrase you pictured a mini dance session. It's probably because I totally just did it even while I was typing on this nifty little thing. You have a little something coming your way.

OH I'M EMPLOYED!!!! I just got the offer yesterday :-) It's in Arlington, not as cool as Malawi, but still. BENEFITS! YAY! teehee.

okay love you, bye.

PD Lakin said...

I've just set up a comment account. More later.

Unknown said...

Everyone--we have heard from Alyssa and she is doing great. Our most recent communication was a letter written on Oct. 7 (we received it Oct. 23). She is now learning the language Chitumbuka, which means her site will be in northern Malawi, which she prefers. She is staying with a host family during training, and they do not speak English or Chitumbuka (they speak Chichewa). They are treating her very well and it sounds like she is kept very, very busy with her training.